Monday 11 September 2017

Edmonton Part 1: A Pleasant Surprise

 

 

You know when something WONDERFUL happens and it's a complete SURPRISE?  Well that's what happened during my half-marathon in Edmonton.  I want to preface this post by saying that I don’t intend this post to be braggy but rather I am allowing myself to share my pride, and happiness, over this unexpected result.  Sometimes as women I feel like we don’t celebrate ourselves as much as we should, or be happy with where we are right now, and that’s something I’ve been trying to work on and model for my girls so here is my celebration.


A few weeks ago I ran my personal best at the Edmonton half-marathon and I can’t even begin to describe my emotions. to you all.  Some of you may recall last years half-marathon disappointment, read about it here, after training hard for months and hoping to achieve 2 hrs flat and then having the worst run ever.  Since that race, I haven’t been able to commit to anything.  Finally in June my close friend Kristi called me out.  She basically said that I could do it, but mentally I was stopping myself because I didn’t want to face disappointment again or having to adjust my goals to suit my needs.  TRUE!!!!!  I am terrible at the mind aspect of running and often sabotage myself.  So when my buddy Nick decided to run the Edmonton half,  I signed up too.  I trained but really took it easy by following the moderate training schedule.  I didn’t want to get hurt again, physically or emotionally, and I didn’t want it hijacking our family time in the summer.  So I did what I could and stayed pretty true to getting in 4 runs a week and some cross-training. 

 

 

Then came the illness curse.  Like 2016 I got sick, except this time I was sick for over 3 weeks and when I went o the doctor finally she told me it was a chest and sinus infection and that she would put me on strong antibiotics but she wasn’t sure that I should run.  I ran, with a little help from Advil Cold and Sinus, and somewhere around 16km I realized that there was a good chance I would get a PB.  After just hoping that I wouldn’t be slower than 2:10:00! I just couldn’t believe!  My official time was it 2:01:16!!!!! I ran across the finish line feeling strong, powerful, speedy and with a heart full of pride.  I didn’t reached that flat 2hrs but I am beyond happy with the result and it’s nice to feel that "it's good enough". 

 
 

 

Would I like under 2 hrs?  Of course, but I don’t feel like I need it.  I don’t feel any disappointment.  I just feel happiness, pride, perseverance.  It’s nice to have positive feelings about ones accomplishments rather than despair.  So whatever your goals are and whether you achieve them on your first attempt or not, or ever, I hope you can be better than me and always give yourself a pat on the back and are able to get back to whatever it is that you love. 

 



My husband refers to them (my family ) as my "running groupies".  Best cheering squad ever! 

 

My buddy Nick got an incredible first time half –marathon at 2:07:00!!!!  AMAZING.  I couldn’t be happier for him.  He set out to do something and in the midst of a busy family life, with little training, and little running background, he crushed it. 


In closing, I will say that this course was the flattest course I have ran, beautiful route, calm winds, it was really just a dream. I am well aware that I may not be able to replicate this time on a different course, but I am okay with that.  I am moving forwards with just reminding myself that I run 

 a) because I love it

b) to feel healthy and strong, and

c) to manage my stress.  Thee shirt below summarizes it perfectly.

 
 
 


 

4 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you that I'm tearing up reading this post! You are such a badass, and I am so happy you shared your success with us!

    --Roxanne
    Glass of Glam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Roxanne. Your words of encouragement mean the world to me. I always read your posts with such admiration and awe for how you are able to accomplish so much in a day. It's inspiring.

      Delete
  2. Congrats to you, sweet lady! You are blessed to have a friend that is honest with you!! Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie, I couldn't agree more. I really needed to hear it but to also have her support along the way. Sometimes in life we find friends in the most unexpected places and ways.

      Delete