Wednesday 9 May 2018

Busy Mom Reading More in 2018: Book Review


 

Hi everyone.  If you read my goal 2018 update last week, you might be already aware that I wanted to read a book a month in 2018 or a total of 12.  So far I am doing pretty well and have completed five books in total, am almost done listening to two audiobooks and am reading my sixth.  Below you'll find a couple of 5 star books, a couple of 4 star books, and a book I didn't even finish.  Eek.  Enjoy and thanks for stopping by.


☆☆☆☆   Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls, and Everything in Between by Lauren Graham  

 

If you’ve read my blog over the past year, you know I love Gilmore Girls and am now sharing the series with my girls as well.  Who wouldn’t want have the mother-daughter relationship of Lorelai and Rory?!? I picked this book up over the Christmas holidays, so technically it was my first book completed in  2018 .  It was an easy read, compiled of short stories from Lauren Graham’s life from an early age, to birth and growth of the Gilmore Girls, to the challenges that many face in Hollywood.  At times all I could hear was Lorelai in my head, and other times it was what I would assume is the  real Lauren.  Excellent choice for a beach or road trip read this summer.



☆☆☆☆  The Four Tendencies by Gretchen Rubin


Our book club kicked off 2018 with this book, The Four Tendencies by Gretchen Rubin.  This is a book that helps you discover which of the four tendencies, upholder, obliger, rebel or questioner, you most likely resemble.   My best friend declared me an upholder even before I had a chance to research what the book was about or take the online quiz  (take it if you haven't done it yet, it's FREE)..  The author describes each of the tendencies  with insight, hilarious examples and backs it with research. Though I clearly identified with the upholder tendency, I also have large pieces that fall into the obliger category, specifically when it comes to working in a primarily collaborative workplace, where going full steam ahead by yourself would result in little getting accomplished, not to mention a complete breakdown of the collaborative process.  I didn't give it a five stars because I feel like it's not super simple to just fall into one category like the book sometimes reads. 



☆☆☆☆☆ The Alice Network by Kate Quinn

 

Finally five stars and not because I choose this book for book club.   Historical fiction, or regional fiction (not sure if this is a real category but a story that takes place in a country/culture I know little about such as the Kite Runner), have  become my favorite reads as an adult in my 30's.  The story takes place between WWI and WWII in France, with the main characters coming together in an unlikely search of a young woman.  Throughout their journey the story of heroic women comes to live as they  became secret agents during WWI.  Everyone in the book club LOVED this book.  The characters are rich, interesting, troubled, heroic and compelling. 

 

 

☆☆☆☆☆ I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh

 

 

 

Giving it five stars, like the Alice Network, but for completely different reasons.  This is a fast-paced, criminal, suspense novel that develops all  the characters fully and makes you sit at the edge of your seat.  There are very few books now days that I will stay up past 11p.m. to  read, but this one did.  I read it in less then a week, which is quick for me.  Within the first few pages a death happens and your are thrown into a race for truth and justice, though the truth is often not what it seems.

 
 

☆☆☆  The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck: A Counterintuitive Approach  to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson

 

 

 

Usually, I am all over books like this but the first couple chapters almost had me throwing in the towel.  I swear and am rarely offended, but the word was used as a gimmick and it got old very quickly and became super annoying.  That all being said I am glad I pushed through because it became much more thought-provoking and less vulgar. There were some key lessons that I took away from the book is are:

 "Do Something" Principle (p. 158).  Even when you are feeling stuck, or overwhelmed, just pick a place to start and get moving forward in whatever, rather than just spinning.  I love this idea and try to use it whenever I am overwhelmed b the sheer amount of work that's on my plate.

 

"Action isn't just the effect of motivation; it's also the cause of it." (p. 160)

 
 

Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood

 

 

I quit reading it around page 235 out of 600+.  No review really except that it’s long.  The characters are more interesting then I originally thought they would be, and the writing was dense but draws you in.  My demise came when I left the book for over a week, and just didn’t find it compelling enough to return to, especially with over 400 pages to go.  😊  I think I’ll watch the Nextflix version instead. 

What do you do when a book just doesn’t draw you completely in?

Do you jump ship? 

Do you push on? 

How long before you throw in the towel?

 
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm the same way with a book. If it doesn't grab me enough that I NEED to read everyday, it gets set aside and never finished. I definitely need to add your 2 five stars to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete