Tuesday 15 August 2017

What It's Like Being Lake People: A New Chapter in our Life


A year ago, Logan and I spend hours, days, and weeks agonizing over the decision to buy/not to buy this cabin that stole our hearts at 'hello'.  It was a huge decision, two mortgages!  Could we do it?  What things would we have to give up?  Were we okay with the changes this would bring, the positive/negative?  We went over our finances with a fine tooth comb, several times.  Had panic dreams.  In the end we finally just took the leap because this was what we dreamt of, talked about since we had gotten married, what we hoped to provide our kids with but never actually felt it was going to be conceivable in our lifetime. 

 

We took the leap and this year we were the LAKE PEOPLE and as I write this, there are tears threating to slip out and there is a heaviness, the gratitude kind, in my chest.  Every morning as I drank my coffee on OUR deck, at OUR lake, I thought to myself, "wow! this is my life."   It would truly take my breath away at times. 

 

Let's take a peak of our highlights!


#1 Boating and Water

We spent a lot of time on the boat this year.  We wakeboarded and wakeboarded, mostly in the early mornings while the water was like glass. 




Anya killed it on the kneeboard and graduated from a beginner board to an adult/trick board.  She finally figured out how to turn and got herself out of the wake!!!!  She also took her first big spill in the lake and took it like a champ.




Halie is much more reserved on the water but did get up on the kneeboard and rocked, in exchange for blue hair.  She is a dynamite fisherwoman and enjoyed catching several fish to feed us this summer!




#2 Family and Friends


The lake is more beautiful when you can share it with the people you love.  We had several people visit and so many more that we hope will come throughout the year. 

 

Both sets of grandparents came to out to spend time with us this summer and the girls were thrilled to show them around.

 
 




My sister and her family spent a few days at the lake soaking up the sun, tubing, fishing, enjoying the campfire.  Our 13 year old nephew stayed on with us for another week and he was a blast.  Halie and Alen have a relationship and love for each other like siblings who don't really fight.  They just click and fostering family relations is extremely important to our family.


 

Speaking of cousins, baby Cooper and aunty Jenna made it out for a day.  Cooper was not a fan of the water not only for himself but for any of our group.  Each time Anya ventured out for a swim, he would cry and cry. Poor little monkey.  What did he love?!?  Ice cream!!!



 

Friends and friends.  Lots of friends around the campfire, on the beach and in our life.  Blog post to come about having my best friend and her family out for 4 days in the near future.


 

#3 Sand Castles and Burials

No matter how old or young you are, sand is magical.

 


 

 

#4 Nature

Fox.  Deer.  Birds chirping.  Wind whistling.  Bugs.  Hiking.  Restores your soul.




#5 Me Time, Our Time  & Family Time


I ran and trained, loosely, for a half-marathon this summer.  I feel good about it for the first time in a long time.  I read.  I paddled.  I sat on my deck and drank coffee.



Logan and I reconnected away from the daily demands of life.  We had coffee.  We sat around the fire.  We talked.  We held hands. We kissed  We laughed.  We fished.  We golfed.  We made friends.


  
 

Halie is growing up and this summer came at a perfect time.  The girls didn't drive me crazy, instead I was able to get to know them individually and together.  I actually coveted our "girl only weeks".  We talked.  We beached.  We read all over the place.  We watched Gilmour Girls.  We made suppers together. 


 
 

Needless to say we had an amazing summer and the memories created will last a lifetime.  I feel stronger as a person and a family unit as we return to our 'real' lives and begin another year of school, work, business as usual. It's different because I know that our little piece of heaven is just a skip and a hop away and we plan to utilize it anytime we just need a little family downtime. 

4 comments:

  1. Aw, I absolutely love this...and I'm happy you found such fulfillment in it! Love what it has done for your relationships too...making me think about how I can do things here to make up for the lake life we're missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. I am already finding that peacefulness is slipping away and anxiety has kicked in. Now to figure out how to find that in my real life. As for finding that for your kids, I feel like your family really works hard on relationships and whether they are made at the lake or by traveling to other places, or right at home, we are all taking advantage of the opportunities that present themselves. We

      Delete
  2. Such a sweet post! I am so glad you were able to get away and spend time with your family! The memories you make will last a lifetime.

    Thanks for joining the Thursday Moda link-up!
    Mary
    https://www.themarycurator.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mary. Your kind words mean the world to me.

      Delete